Monday, October 27, 2008

DEER HUNT 2008

Here is a picture of our camp this year. One of the trailers had pulled out before I took this picture. We had a lot of fun and only had one windy cold day. However, ALL of us were praying for rain or snow to settle the dust. We saw a lot of deer. One day we had to see over 100 deer. Friday night we were watching 2 bucks fight. They got stuck together for a minute or two. It was cool. They were too far away for me to take a picture.

Cody got a 4 point on opening day. The funny thing about deer hunting is...the last 3 years I've been in camp when Cody has gotten his deer. This year I wanted to sleep in....I had a headache and I didn't want to get out of the warm trailer to face the cold morning...Plus it was opening day....Cody wouldn't shoot anything on opening day. I was relaxing when all of a sudden a knock on the trailer.......Julie you up? Cody has a nice one down. So I get ready and head up the hill where he was. The story of how he got his deer is. He was about 50 yards from the buck when he shot. He wasn't sure if he wanted to shoot is. Roger was saying shoot it, then Jean started in with shoot it. Cody killed the deer with just 1 shot....I had packed 2 boxes just in case he got buck fever. He shot it in a great location on the mountain.....he didn't have to drag the deer up or down any hills, we could drive right to it. I've attached a couple of pictures of him and his deer. If I remember correctly when we measured it was 19" wide and 17" tall.


Everything has gone too smooth. We didn't forget anything. Cody got his deer and took it in to be processed. We had plenty of supplies to last the 10 days. Cody and I decided with the long drive from Park Valley to Grantsville we would leave out on Saturday instead of Sunday to get a head start on unpacking, laundry, and winterizing the trailer. We made it out of camp and down the road about 7 miles when we slowed down to let a camper pass us......when all of a sudden POP. What????? I got out of the truck to see what the noise was......


Yup our tire blew. A 3-4" split right down the center of the tire. We hurried and pulled the trailer off the truck and tried to fix it. We couldn't find all the tools needed to fix the tire. So we unloaded the 4-wheeler from the trailer and I went riding back to camp. When I got there the men gathered the supplies and down the road we went. One truck, a 4-wheeler, 2 Rangers, and a jeep later the crew had arrived to help us fix the flat. We have the bigger tires on our truck and the full size spare was not holding well with all the weight of the trailer. We called and Jake left Brigham and headed to Tremonton to get Roger's truck and would meet Cody and the trailer in Park Valley at the church. I would continue with the truck into Tremonton to get the tires replaced. Come to find out the people in Park Valley are very concerned with anyone using their parking lot. Cody had several people stop and let them know they had church on Sunday and we would need to move the trailer by then (keep in mind it is 1:00 Saturday afternoon).

After I got the tires replaced the guys at the shop said we needed to come back after 50 miles and get the lug nuts tightened. The steel and aluminum don't adjust well together and they have had tires fall off. So we took a wrench and a cheater bar and headed down the road stopping in Brigham to tighten the nuts and again in Layton. Well after 1 tire the wrench we were using broke. I called work and asked where the nearest Wal-Mart was. It was Centerville and the exit was only 5 miles away. We stopped and got a new wrench and tightened all the lug nuts.


Needless to say the trip that was only supposed to take 4 hours ended up taking 12. We pulled into our house around midnight. Unhooked the trailer, took some NyQuil (Cody and I have had this miserable cold), and went to bed.


Hope next year is less eventful.

2 comments:

Owen Family said...

Wow! I am glad you had to slow down to let someone pass. sometimes the smallest miracles go unnoticed. Congrats on the deer, Cody. You look like a very proud hunter. Hope you both get feeling much better. We love you!

The Beckstead Family said...

Okay, so I was looking at your blog at work and one of the people that I work with walked by and said "why do you have pictures of Cody Cannon on your computer?" Well anyway I told him that he was my brother in law. So then he told me to tell you "Justin Hill says that you and Jake need to get rid of car 19 it really sucks." then he said to tell you hello. So I am giving you the message.

I will talk to you later.
~Amber